Sunday, October 18, 2015

Coffee Shops

The barista smiles, her fake pep cutting through last nights hangover. As I drop my money for the coffee that will inevitability make me shake through the rest of the day, I chuckle.
I come here to get away from my house. If I stay there, I stay in my comfort zone. I don’t write, I don’t create, I don’t DO. Maybe that’s why I’ve never felt truly HOME in any house I’ve ever lived? Because a house is typically a place where I am at my worst. With a book, a couch, a TV, and an internet connection, I can waste literally days at a time.
But there is something about a coffee shop. With the distracting bustle of the customers, the chirping of the over caffeinated and overfriendly staff, the uncomfortable chairs, and the brief exchanges of pleasantries used as an excuse to put off reality for just a few more minutes. There is something about it that brings out my best. Here I can sit, and through it all, my dreams of taking over the world are still possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment